Thompson Chain Reference Bible, ESV
Published by Zondervan
As a member of the Bible Gateway Blogger Grid (BG²), I received this Bible free in exchange for my honest review. #BibleGatewayPartner
Along with my grandfather’s Thompson Chain Reference Bible (KJV), I now have my own Thompson in ESV. As one of the most extensive, yet discernible, Bible study systems published, the Thompson exists as a helpful study guide for anyone wanting to dig deep into God’s Word.
As a young preacher in the late 1800’s, and dissatisfied with available reference Bibles, Dr. Frank Charles Thompson developed his own simple but scholarly Bible study system. In 1908, encouraged by church members to publish his system, the first edition of the Thompson Chain Reference Bible was printed. Even after Dr. Thompson’s death, his work has continued though updates, enhancements, and availability in multiple English and Spanish translations.
Features of the Thompson Chain Reference Bible, ESV, Red Letter (description directly from the FaithGateway Store):
- Full text of the English Standard Version (ESV)
- Easy to understand Chain-Reference System with over 100,000 references in the margins
- References cover over 8,000 topics, each with its own pilot number for exhaustive topical study
- Complete alphabetical and numerical indices listing all 8,000 topics with corresponding pilot numbers and Bible references for comprehensive topical study
- Bible study aids such as biographical sketches of the most prominent people in the Bible, an archeological supplement, glossary, concordance, Bible harmonies, and outlines of each book of the Bible
- Key Verses and Key Thoughts provide basic information you can use to develop your own study
- Verse Analysis shows the topics and themes of every verse and provides easy reference to other verses with the same topics or themes
- 16-page full-color map section
- Words of Christ in red
- Satin ribbon marker
- Presentation page for gift-giving
- 8.3-point type size
The specific edition I received for review is a hardcover in standard sized. The paper is thin but common for Bibles this size. The type size, in 8.3 point, is somewhat small but legible. References and study helps are substantial and detailed without being overwhelming. Scripture references are located at the top outside edges of the page for quickly finding a passage.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this Bible free as a member of the Bible Gateway Blogger Grid (BG²) #BibleGatewayPartner I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. Some links on this page are / may be “affiliate links”. “I AM A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES.” As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click on the link and purchase I will receive an affiliate commission. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”.